Neck pain is a common complaint that often goes away on its own. Rarely, neck pain can be a symptom of a more serious problem.
Signs and symptoms of neck pain include:
- Pain that's often worsened by holding your head in one place for long periods, such as when driving or working at a computer
- Muscle tightness and spasms
- Decreased ability to move your head
When to see a doctor
Most neck pain improves gradually with home treatment. If not, see your doctor.
Seek immediate care if severe neck pain results from an injury, such as a motor vehicle accident, diving accident or fall.
Contact a doctor if your neck pain:
- Is severe
- Persists for several days without relief
- Spreads down arms or legs
- Is accompanied by headache, numbness, weakness or tingling
Make an appointment
Please contact the Comprehensive Spine Center to learn more or make an appointment.
Source: Mayo Clinic